Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone. I recently bought a 2000 s40 2.0T and want to get some nicer wheels. I currently have 15"/65 profile and I have found some 18" rims which are currently on an s70R. My tyre guy however reckons that i should not go any bigger than 16" rims so that i don't affect the ride comfort. Apparently i would need to lower the profile too much to keep the diameter of the wheels the same. i asked about just making the profile larger (he suggested it would have to go down to 35's, which according to him is way too low for this car, something to do with the weight i beleive) but he said that making the profile any bigger would start to affect the gear ratios. If anyone has any experience with putting on bigger than stock wheels (eg how it affects gears, acceleration etc) it would be great to have a second opinion. Cheers!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Up sizing has it's limits. You need to keep the same overall diameter to have the gearing close to what was designed by the manufacturer.

Going with larger rims means the rubber must have a smaller profile to keep the same overall diameter. A larger rim looks nice but, because there's less sidewall rubber, it will ride much harsher. If the roads in your area are good, no problem but it's easy to bend a rim if there's little rubber for protection on bad bumps or potholes.

Big rim with larger rubber option? It will throw off the gearing so you will loose power. Going up hills will be slower as will acceleration. The amount of loss is dependent on how large you go. An oversize tire will, inevitably rub the bodywork over bumps or when turning the steering sharply. Not good for the tire or body.

Your tire guy is probably right. Stick with his recommendation. He seems legit, he cold make more money selling you bigger but he didn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you're probably right, bigger rims might look nice but everything has its cost! Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts