Volvo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my 1993 850 GLT. On extremely hot days, the car may start and run for awhile, but will start slowly loosing power and revs drop off. Eventually it will die until it can cool off. The temp gauge stays normal, there is no Check Engine light therefore the OBD I shows no codes, and I don't hear any unusual noises. One thing I notice is that I never hear the radiator fan kick on unless the A/C is on. This problem only happens when it is very hot outside (upper 90s or especially over 100 degrees). Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might have a temperature sensor that's telling the engine it's hotter than it really is and it's leaning out the mixture to the point of missing and then dieing.

The fan is a problem as it should come on at some point but you can just turn on the AC so the fan is working and if the engine still kills you know the cooling fan isn't the cause of this dieing problem. You should track it down as the next issue. You sure don't want to overheat the engine and lose a head gasket :eek: Maybe a relay ??
Do you know if yours is a two speed fan ??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts