Volvo Forums banner

1998 v70 awd

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  avarvarigo 
There's always oil leaking internally in the Turbo. I was quite shocked the first time I removed one of the silicone hoses to the intercooler of my 745 - oil streaks all inside the pipes. My mechanic friend said 'don't worry' so we left it. Sold it a few years later with 175000 on the clock. It passed it's e-test too.

My wife primarily drove the 745T - maybe that was the mistake. It was a classic case of pussy-footing around with a high performance engine. I have a feeling that there was never enough throttle given to clear out the intake passages. Definitely not the way I drove it.

Yes, the PCV system could be leaking too. Hoses to weep and perish over time.

Here's a pic of a typical 5 cyl turbo system;

#1 is the oil separator. A plastic container that catches the drips from the fumes. The fumes are pulled back into the intake via #8 & 10.

I know the 700 series turbo did not have a flame trap and screen - this was only used in the normally aspirated models. Probably because a cold turbo engine has a lot of crankcase back pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.