Volvo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is my first post, and it concerns my 2001 S40 with the 1.9L Turbo engine. I bought it 1.5 months ago in Louisiana and drove it to Ohio (about 1,000 miles) and it had about 77k on it when I bought it. We had the timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, and oil change done before the drive home.

It made it home! But it has a recurring problem. It has had a hard start with about 3-5 second crank time, which occurs intermittently. Sometimes it needs to sit for a night, or just an hour for it to happen. Also, when I put a decent amount of force on the gas, it starts to lose mechanical power and lightly sputter (not audible) and the Check Engine light flashes until I slow down significantly.

I have already replaced my spark plugs, my fuel pressure regulator and its o-ring. I've been thinking it could be the fuel pump or maybe the coils. I need to find a way to fix this without spending massive amounts of money that a broke college kid doesn't have.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE!

My car is now rumbling and sputtering when idling. The hard start has for the most part gone away, however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. This is my first post, and it concerns my 2001 S40 with the 1.9L Turbo engine. I bought it 1.5 months ago in Louisiana and drove it to Ohio (about 1,000 miles) and it had about 77k on it when I bought it. We had the timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, and oil change done before the drive home.

It made it home! But it has a recurring problem. It has had a hard start with about 3-5 second crank time, which occurs intermittently. Sometimes it needs to sit for a night, or just an hour for it to happen. Also, when I put a decent amount of force on the gas, it starts to lose mechanical power and lightly sputter (not audible) and the Check Engine light flashes until I slow down significantly.

I have already replaced my spark plugs, my fuel pressure regulator and its o-ring. I've been thinking it could be the fuel pump or maybe the coils. I need to find a way to fix this without spending massive amounts of money that a broke college kid doesn't have.

Thank you.
Check turbo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts