Volvo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - this is my first post but would highly value any insights.

I have a 2006 XC70 with 235,000 miles. Two days ago I brought the car to a dealership after noticing the anti-skid service light. The dealership told me they found a code related to brake pressure sensor switches (BCM-0136: BCM-0136 - Volvo Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis).

I told them to go ahead with the replacement and they also performed an oil/filter change, replaced the rear muffler hanger so I could pass my state's safety inspection, and flushed the power steering fluid.

I received the car back yesterday and drove it ~10 miles to where I live with no issues. The car sat outside for ~24hrs before I tried using it again. When I inserted the key I got no lights, when I turned the key I got no crank and no start. I tried jump starting but couldn't get the car started.

I called the dealership and they're sending a towing company to pick the car up and bring it back to them but I wanted to reach out to you all in advance to see if you can think of any reasons this might be happening and if they could be related to the recent repairs.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or helpful but the alternator was replaced last year and before this I've never had this kind of no lights/crank/start issue.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated - thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone - this is my first post but would highly value any insights.

I have a 2006 XC70 with 235,000 miles. Two days ago I brought the car to a dealership after noticing the anti-skid service light. The dealership told me they found a code related to brake pressure sensor switches (BCM-0136: BCM-0136 - Volvo Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis).

I told them to go ahead with the replacement and they also performed an oil/filter change, replaced the rear muffler hanger so I could pass my state's safety inspection, and flushed the power steering fluid.

I received the car back yesterday and drove it ~10 miles to where I live with no issues. The car sat outside for ~24hrs before I tried using it again. When I inserted the key I got no lights, when I turned the key I got no crank and no start. I tried jump starting but couldn't get the car started.

I called the dealership and they're sending a towing company to pick the car up and bring it back to them but I wanted to reach out to you all in advance to see if you can think of any reasons this might be happening and if they could be related to the recent repairs.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or helpful but the alternator was replaced last year and before this I've never had this kind of no lights/crank/start issue.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated - thanks much in advance.
Given the work involved can easily relate to wires being moved around to access the brake sensor switch, and the fact of age of vehicle, wire connections are always an issue I have found to be an issue over the years. First, since you tried to jump vehicle, the battery is not the issue. So check the starter relay, simply swap it out with others which are the same in fuse box and do the same with the fuse. You sometimes can't see if a fuse is good by visual look, so if you have volt meter, check voltage and continuity. If not, just swap them with others of same color to eliminate this common issue. Next, check the trigger wire going to your starter solenoid. They always get loose and corroded over time. I assume when you say no lights, you are talking about service or brake dash lights, or are you saying no ignition on lights? Just a few tips I have encountered over the years.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts