Volvo Forums banner

72 1800E overheating?

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jdisston 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new here. Just bougth this beatifull 1972 Red 1800E, in fine condition. The radiator has a single fan, and it is electrically activated (no thermostat). I have to keep an eye on the water temperature, and switch the fan on depending on speed, air temperature, etc. to avoid spilling coolant through the vent in the small bottle next to the radiator.
I was just wondering if it would be possible to replace the single fan, with a dual fan kit, and a thermostat, so the water temperature is better managed and cared for. I fear this will be a big issue when the hot weather returns to Texas in 6 months.
Many thanks.
Claudio.

#3 ·
1800s are a rare, beautiful, undervalued range of cars which sometimes make key parts hard to find.

'Late model' 1800s were required to meet early emmissions standards so what was originally an adequate cooling system, is running close to the limit in the later models. In stock form, they need a higher pitched fan and shroud around the rad to provide proper cooling. The high pitched fan mounted on a fan clutch that de-activates at higher speed to limit power loss from the engine.

If any of those parts are missing or broken, they are no longer available. I have not yet seen a listing or cross reference replacement for the clutch fan assembly or new shrouds. A used, unbroken shroud could be installed but a used clutch fan is most likely faulty. Many classic cars are forced to use non-standard parts to keep them running.

Electric fans come in many different styles and prices. Flex-a-lite has a WIDE range of models Flex-a-lite Electric Engine Cooling Fans along with accessories to make them work the way you want Electric Fan Accessories at Flex-a-lite Consolidated . You may want to research a fan model that fits using the mounting tabs on the sides to attach just beyond the sides of the rad core, using the Volvo rad frame as a mounting point, (you may have to relocate the bottle).

Make sure the fan is adequate for the application. Engine damage can be severe and costly from overheating.

Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.