Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 740 stalls when it warms up. I heard that it could be the distributor so I rebuilt it, but it still has the same problem. I'm wondering if it could be the halls sensor, which I didn't replace. Also I'm wondering if there is another possibility I sound be checking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the Hall sensor and plug is the KEY items when rebuilding distributor.
Test your ballast resistor sensor on your drivers side inner fendor.unplug and measure resistance across 2 terminals s/b 12 ohms plus or minus 1 ohm.Measure the other 2 same connector.
Test your pwr stage close to ballast resistor pack,ref your chiltons or haynes for simple tests.
when your car stalls,quickly pull your coil wire from dist cap and carefully hold 3/4" from a grd point have some one turn engine over look for a bright sprk from coil to grd. if no spark pwr stage or hall sensor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The final answer

the Hall sensor and plug is the KEY items when rebuilding distributor.
Test your ballast resistor sensor on your drivers side inner fendor.unplug and measure resistance across 2 terminals s/b 12 ohms plus or minus 1 ohm.Measure the other 2 same connector.
Test your pwr stage close to ballast resistor pack,ref your chiltons or haynes for simple tests.
when your car stalls,quickly pull your coil wire from dist cap and carefully hold 3/4" from a grd point have some one turn engine over look for a bright sprk from coil to grd. if no spark pwr stage or hall sensor
It was the hall sensor, I replaced the distributor, and it is perfect, now to replace the harmonic balance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts