Volvo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Forum!

I'm new here and have come looking for advice. I've owned several old 740 wagons in the past (my current "old car" is a 90 Saab 900) and I'm looking around for a Volvo to buy for my 17 year old son, to learn to drive in snow and to commute to college in next year. (He had a choice between an old Volvo & an old Saab- that's it! He chose Volvo.) I've narrowed the field down to (I believe) a late model 850 or an S70 for the fwd and the side airbags. I know these are very similar cars, but I've never owned either so I need help deciding!

Is there a preference -mechanically speaking- between turbo & non? (I've always heard that turbo's have problems and that they make the parts & the mechanics labor cost more.) What should I be on the look out for when buying? I can do some minor work/repairs myself.
nhạc chuông hay, nhac chuong iphone, nhạc chuông không lời
Thanks much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 1997 850 GLT that I bought for my daughter in 2009. It is now the back up car for when one of the kids comes home for a visit or when another car is in the shop. I also had a 1998 V70 GLT that I bought new. Both are great reliable cars but can be expensive to fix when major items like the exhaust system has to be replaced which will happen at around 200,000 miles. Best to find one that has had a lot of expensive items replaced. Also, if you are driving in snow get an extra set of steel wheels and four snow tires for winter driving. Makes a huge difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts