Volvo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1995 volvo turbo 850 wagon. It fires up cold fine in even -30 weather, but if I drive it for more than 50 miles and then park it to fill up gas or something it will not start for an hour to two ( once it cools down completely). Otherwise it shows no signs of any issue with power or overheating. I do believe the turbo is leaking into the the oil or vice versa.:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
That sounds a lot like a fuel pump relay problem. They will get finicky when hot and work again when they cool down. There is a way to jump the power in and power out connections with a paperclip. Car is hot, will not start, pull relay and plug in paperclip and if it starts you know it's the relay. You can pull the clip and plug the relay back in to double check it's the problem. There are instruction on multiple forums I don't have a link of know which terminals to jump off the top of my head.
Try matthewsvolvosite

There could also be a problem with your coolant temperature sensor not reading correctly but in this case I'd check the relay first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the coolant temperate sensor. I had the same problem with my '95 960. It turned out to be the temp sensor. And of course it was in the back where it wasn't visible until you climbed on top of the engine. It took a few months to figure it out. The 850 should be much easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts