Volvo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im posting this as a thanks to all of the volvo forums on the web that helped me find the problem with my car.

i didnt drive the car for about 5 days and when i tried starting it would crank but not fire. could feel the engine trying to start with tiny vibrations through the car. i searched the forums and found a very common failure is the cps- cam position sensor. i tested to make sure the fuel pump was working, i had spark so i thought it must be the issue.

just to make sure it wasnt the lifters getting jammed up because it had sit for days i done the 4min start but still didnt start.

while i was on the search for more answers i came across a single random post about the relay on the right of the fan shroud that failed. it was a very expensive exercise for the guy before he found it because he had replaced the cps, fuel pump, dizzy cap, coil, leads and plugs. he found the internals had jammed up and it wasnt working.

so i started having a look at it. tested the relay and it worked fine so i was a bit stumped. i noticed where the wires sit against the fan shroud had rub marks and green powder from the wire casing. they looked like they had been rubbing for a while and through my bumping it about while testing the trigger wire where it had rubbed had rubbed all the through the wire and it was hidden with the casing powder filling it in. i soldered in a new wire and wouldnt you believe it the car started straight up.

so what i thought was going to be a expensive repair and would of just kept getting more expensive turned out to be just a single wire on the injector relay. so all 850 owners and any model with the same relay placement should have a look at it and see if the bad placement is causing any issues for you before spending any money on new parts.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Basic trouble shooting is a lost art - congrats on finding and fixing it.

Many new mechanics don't have/need that ability now days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI

I have the same problem on my 850 (96mod)
It's the car with 20v (170hp)

It's crank and it feels that its gona start, but it dosen't.
I got the problem after it had stand still for a week.
First time it startet OK, i got to the shop with none problems. Then it didn't start. I waited for some hours (baraoud my friends car and came back some hours later)
Then it's start, drived some around 50m and then i stopt again.

Got the car home. Didn't start, just cranks and it feels like it gona start, but dosen't.
Changed the sparks cabels, benefits cap, rotor and spark plugs.
Didn't work.
I tested with a spark lamp and it loks like the sparks are working just fine.

When i use the gas pedal the lights gows out in the dashboards and it feels like the power is going away. It goes back very fast sow i don't now if the sparks are out when i do this.
But when i do that it's smells gas in the car.

Can it be the same cabel dannyscustoms are talking about. or it may be a problem with the gaspump/relay/gas filter?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts