Volvo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

My poor car only intermittently goes into the top gear at highway speeds. When it does, I savour it: I am careful to not accelerate hard, get boxed in, or otherwise slow down. It sure uses a lotta gas otherwise.

It more often kicks in when the car has had a long highway run, and its warm out. Perhaps coincidentally, usually after the above AND i have picked up my 12 year old from gymnastics! I mention this because it happens too often to be a coincidence. Perhaps there is something about her electromagnetic field, or perhaps her 100lbs in the front passenger seat completes a circuit, or leans the car a bit more to the right...

I have replaced the slave and the relay, and the automatic fluid is OK. Two mechanics and an enthusiuast have been stumped. The other faults are 1) the odometer is toast (despite the ipd repair kit installation), 2) the electrical wires running over the hatch hinges have snapped and 3) the radio has never worked. Recently, a sensor wire was replaced making the car run very smoothly again, but it didn't affect the top gear.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It works, so it sounds like a connection issue, possibly. Or a sensor. It is designed to kick in at a certain MPH if I remember. Not sure what that is off hand. Have you looked for fault codes yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas.

I don't know about error codes - the mechanics never mentioned any and they would have brought them up.

I certainly exceed whatever speed at which it should kick in, and the odd time it does kick in, the car is so quiet and its workings effortless. And now that gas is over $1.40/L CAD, i want it to work more than ever.

Re the sensor - my enthusiast acquaintance said the same thing, but I can't find any sensor in my repair guide. I will check the connections. It will take several weeks as I don't get to things quickly, but I will answer back with news when I have it. What sensor should I look for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Overdrive

IPD sells a by pass cover to put where the solenoid is ,this will not allow you to take out of overdrive but on a old car who cares. If it still does not go into high gear you have a valve sticking in the trans. If you can find it put BG trans cleaner into the trans and drive 2 days then drain and fill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you checked the wiring going to the overdrive unit? I'm not familiar with the '92 model year, but the older 240 cars had terrible wiring. My '81 had the same problem you describe. On closer inspection the wire was brittle. Once the wire was replaced the overdrive worked fine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The overdrive is engaged by an electric solenoid on the transmission. There are a number of places that the signal to the overdive could be interrupted.

Most commonly; the overdrive switch on the gear selector, the wire inside the stick to that switch or the relay in the fusebox that switches the solenoid. Other than a broken wire somewhere else, a remote possibility is that the cable from the throttle to the transmission could be out of adjustment - but likely only if someone's been messing aound with it.

IPD is a good place to troubleshoot or get useful information. Here's a kit that replaces all the potentially troublesome parts and let it be fully automatic - could be your solution; Automatic Over-Drive Solenoid Bypass Kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with BHart. I can't count the number of times I have pulled the overdrive switch out of the shifter to reconnect the wires to the switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
had similar issues with my '86 240, found the issue to be the wires, mine ended up melted on the exhaust when the clips broke. I had bought a new solenoid but didn't need it. an easy fix either way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hitting the fuel pump bracket with mallet to get car started is definitely a failing fuel pump...but u replaced it already.Did u try replacing the fuel pump relay?It's located underneath the passenger kick panel....it's the white relay attached to the inside firewall.If it's dated 1990 or 1991,then that could be the problem.Also check the fuse box for corrosion and clean the contacts with a wire brush and install all new fuses.Check loose connections at the battery terminals with your hand and tighten if needed.There is one fuse in the engine compartment that is connected from the positive battery(thin red wire)follow it and you'll see a white fuse holder with a 25 amp fuse.Clean and check for tightness.This fuse supplies power to the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input. I hope the discussion helps someone. For me the little problems became overwhelming and I just didn't have the time and cash to put into the car. It was sold in less than 12 hours on Craigslist.

I managed to revive my 97 S70 that sat idle for 9 months. Much nicer for the daily 80Km commute, but not so good for hauling paddleboarding gear. I miss the 240 wagon immensely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Avonvale General Manager, Nick Smyles sorted in an instant and the ... Having said that I would check with Volvo UK first,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts