Volvo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 94 850. It recently had brake pads installed, but the shop/individual did not turn the rotors. When I got it, the rotors were severely warped (all 4). I had the rotors turned, but this didn't help. Now the whole car shakes violently when you brake hard. I can't isolate whether it originates from the front or back. One suggestion has been made that it could be brake booster. My initial thought is the ABS hydro unit. Brake fluid is pristine. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
330 Posts
Turning warped rotors doesn't usually work. Warps are caused by overheating the metal. Milling them may make them true, but the metal will not have the same friction characteristics on the overheated spots. Turning them will make them thinner and have less mass to absorb heat so they will warp again quickly too.

If you're on a budget, buy the cheapest, new, after market rotors you can find - probably less than $25. each. They will work but won't last as long as original. They may not perform as well under extreme situations either such as hard braking when towing or fast mountain driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood. This just seems to be much more than mere warped rotors. This is violent shaking of the whole car. It's not magnified in the steering wheel as one would expect from a warped rotor, this is "shake your liver" kinda stuff. You can feel the pulse in the pedal, when the pedal pulses up is when the car dives like in a hard stop. I just remembered, I rotated the tires when I checked the brakes, but it drives/handles great until you hit the brake pedal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did find that the rotors were warped. You were correct about resurfacing a warped a rotor. It didn't help. With that said, while working through the process, I replaced all 4 rotors and found the right front caliper was sticking open, barely contacting the warped rotor, but the rotor was warped so bad that I believe this side was causing a lot of the pulsing. As for the shop, I think they just need a new brake lathe. They've turned rotors and drums for me before with no issues. I didn't look twice at these, but should have. It was obvious that these rotors should have been replaced from the beginning. Lessons learned. Thanks for advice and the link is excellent!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts