Volvo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, thank you for your enthusiasm for these fine Swedish vehicles...

I have a problem with my 1993 940 (non-turbo) automatic. I have 321,000+ "victory miles" on my trusty wagon, but the speedo has been acting kinda kooky (as in, fluctuating and then going to 0mph when driving). This was affecting the speedo, odo, trip, and cruise control (as in, they didn't work). My super-handy boyfriend found a broken wire in the rear-axle sensor, and he soldered it...it worked again, and then quit. Then it worked! Then it quit...then it worked again! You get the picture... I tried smacking the dash, which seemed to have an effect, meaning it worked for a few days, but recently, the odo started to work again, when the speedo did not. Argh! :confused: The speedo still will "catch" and show speed occasionally, but it fluctuates and is not consistent. I know it is an old car, but it has been SO good to me (everything else works great!), and I really wanna see it turn 500K, and missing out on my actual mileage makes me kinda anxious! SO, since we're not sure it's the rear wiring that's the problem, I'm really hoping it won't involve tearing into the dash...any ideas folks??? Thanks to anyone reading this who could help in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 92 940 GL. I had some of the same issues. I found a place that rebuilt Volvo Speedometers. check online for Volvo speedo repairs. I told the gut on the phone what car I had and he immediately told me what the car was doing. I was sold on his knowledge of the car. AS far as tearing in to the dash of course if you don't know heat your are doing yes you will be tearing into the dash. 1 small screw driver
inserted into holes on each side of the speedo ( no you probably can't see from the drivers position push in and pull the speedo out. next put your hand behind the speedo and release the connector. The speedo is out. That simple. I have had the the same problems on the rear portion in the trunk repaired it without a problem. Of course I have been through the car so I have learned a lot about how to do things and what causes what problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts