Volvo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have found out that the 960's {as well as other models} had sever fuel sender issues after they get some miles on them. While my 960 has relatively few miles {182000} my fuel gauge reads either full all the time or darn near empty depending on its whim. I saw what a replacement costs and I'm not about to spend $400 + on the sender. Has anyone ever replaced it with a generic after market sender like what can be had out of summit. You can get a complete kit for less than $50, that includes the sender and matched fuel gauge. I haven't been under the 960 to see if the tank is steel or plastic, plastic would be easy, cut a new hole and just drop it in and your done, my luck says it's a steel tank which complicates things.

Hacking into a steel tank can be done but it's a pain, you need to fill it up, run a line from the exhaust of a running car,let it idle 30 minutes then you "could" cut the hole with a hand nibbler {lower spark potential} I'm confident on that particular procedure, I've welded bungs on 20000 gallon fuel storage tanks using the same method numerous times. {safety note: don't try that at home kids, I are a trained professional}

to make it even more simple, has anyone ever repaired a sender and if so, what is the procedure ?

Thanks in advance,
Semper Fi,
Gunny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try checking the *Volvo Maintenance FAQ for 7xx/9xx/90 Cars* look under
Fuel System: Pumps, Relays. I had to do this about two years or so ago to a 940. It makes more sense after you have the unit apart on you worktable. You didn't specify the year for your 960. I hope this is the information that you needed. Good luck.

Edit: I'll Pm you the link if you can't find it. Let me know if this works out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a '92 960, on a side note I just ordered the spring kit from IPD, should save me a bunch on those nivomats. I'll check the faq and see where that leads me, thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts