Volvo Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for some advice that will keep my repair cost down. Thank you if you have any!

During my last regular Volvo service, I was told that the angle gear on my 2005 Volvo XC90, T5, is leaking. The advisor also stated that the AWD no longer works. The estimated repair, he told me, was $1499.

So I called another repair place that works on Volvos to see if I can get this fixed at a reduced price. Of course they want to charge me $100 just to look at it and find out. But when I explained the leakage and the AWD not working he asked if I was hearing any noises. No, I don't hear any noises, the car drives very quietly, runs well in fact, and there are no messages on my instruments. That mechanic thought this was weired, because, the leakage alone wouldn't stop the AWD, and since I didn't get any instrument messages and there was no noise, he thought the angle gear itself shouldn't be broken. Needless to say - I wasn't going to pay $100 without knowing if this guy knows what he is talking about.

So I did some research online and learned about some Bevel gear collar and that a splined collar can actually cause the AWD not to work. And according to some European forum, I read something about the DEM pressure temperature sensor in the Haldax to cause the collar to strip. But apparently you can not see this unless you remove this bevel gear.

I am not mechanically inclined at all. In fact, I am just some German lady here in CA who is trying to get her beloved Volvo fixed without paying an arm and a leg. So my question is, how can I find out if a mechanic is really qualified to do a good job of getting my AWD repaired at a lower cost. And also to prevent someone from over charging me since I really don't know what I am talking about. Also, if someone could just advice me on what questions to ask that would give me a hint of weather someone is familiar with these things, too, so the repair is done well. I just want to find a good mechanic who will give me a fair deal. That would be really cool!

Thanks so much for any advice on that!
Sabine

1 - 1 of 1 Posts