Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the definitive answer as to what exactly it will take to change from stock bulbs to HID for the 2006 S60.
Low beams and Fogs only -
I do not want any BOW lights.
I do not want to fry my ECU or harnesses.
I don't mind spending the money to do it right. (Within reason)
I have read so much that I am a bit confused at this point in time.
Thanks in advance.
DMac
:confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
If the '05-'09 V60 was available with factory HIDs, buy them from a wrecker with all the wiring and control boxes.

You cannot retrofit HID bulbs into housings that were designed for halogen. The focal point of the bulbs is different. But if you try, this gives you a bright blue, uncontrolled light that will glare into oncoming traffic and not pass a safety check.

The other option is to check continental European E-bay sites for someone selling a used set. They have been used longer over there and the bonus is the lenses are glass, not polycarbonate plastic like over here.

You could stay with halogen and find some 80 or 100 watt lamps (100 would need a separate relay). You might have to shop motorcycle or transport truck sites. That's another way of getting more light.

Don't be fooled by the 'daylight blue' sales pitches. These are normal lamps, coated with blue dye. This gives a different colour temperature (higher on the kelvin scale) but less actual light output because the tint on the bulb actually cuts the light output. You can measure this with a light meter. There are just for looks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry - new here but just went thru this question with my (new to me) 2006 S60 T5. I replaced installed low beam lights with Sylvania Silver Star Ultra and very happy with results. Existing low beams resulted in a couple of missed exit ramps on highway. New lights are very bright with wider range. I noticed on drive home tonight that I no longer use high beams. Lights are a bit expensive ($50) but well worth the price (IMO) versus replacing all of the components required to arrive at HID which may provide similar lighting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts