Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

My emergency brake was not working, so I replaced the shoes, the driver's side had completely shredded and fell apart when I pulled it all apart. After replacing the shoes I tried the brake again. It didn't hold, so I figured the cable must be stretched, I tried adjusting it, but it had already be completely tightened.

So I ended up replacing the cables, both the left and right one, however there is still a lot of slack in the cable and the brake still doesn't hold enough to pass inspection. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've adjusted the adjuster in the console all the way in and it barely helped. How else could I take up the slack in the cable? Are there any other adjustments that I missed?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You adjust the shoes before you adjust the cable. You may already know this and if so at least "we" will know you've already covered the basics and can go from there.;)

An excerpt from a "trustworthy" publication:

1) Remove rear wheels. Rotate disc until adjustment hole is directly over adjustment screw between brake shoes. Adjust brake shoes by turning adjustment screw upward until brake disc can no longer be rotated. Adjust shoes by backing off screw 5 notches.

2) If there is play between cable & lever, fine adjustment can be made at parking lever. Full parking is achieved between 2-8 clicks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts