Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Volvo V70 has been running out of gas... but there's still at least 4 gals of gas in the tank, the fuel gauage reads 3/8 full, and the message window says there's 140 miles to empty. But the car loses power (just like running out of gas). And, once I fill it back up, it restarts and runs great. I know there is at least 4 gals left, becuase I have an 18.5 gal tank. Sometimes the engine "feels" like it's running out of gas, and if I pay attention and get lucky, I get the gas station without the engine completely stalling.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First guess; faulty fuel tank sender.

Second thought; when you open the gas cap to fill the tank, is there any pressure in the tank? Do you hear the woosh of air when you loosen the cap? If so, this could be a venting issue causing trouble when the tank nears empty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
faulty fuel tank sender

Thank you BHart. I never noticed it there was a "whooshing" when I pop the gas cap. I do notice that sometimes it's hard to get the fuel to go in fast. I have to jiggle the spout so the fuel doesn't back up. So if there is a "whooshing", does that mean there's a problem? Or is it that no-whoosh means there's a problem?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wooshing would mean a build up of pressure or vacuum and would not be normal and could contribute to your poor running.

I'd have a look at the gauge sender first. It's the only real mechanical part and it is in a harsh environment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts