Volvo Forums banner

HELP my 81 Volvo 240

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jerrykib 
#1 ·
Ok I just bought this car because the guy could not get it running. I put a battery in it and it started right up, but would stall if you did not let it idle for about a minute. I drove it around for a few days and then one day it would not start, it would just crank and you could not hear the fuel pump. I tried a couple days later and it started,now it will not start again it just cranks.Please help. Also not sure how to use the OD button. Thanks for any help

#6 ·
Transfer fuel pump maybe??

I was having a problem with our '84 Volvo 240 DL wagon last year - not starting or hard starting when the tank was low, ran poorly if it did start. I put in a new fuel pre-pump (inside the fuel tank) also called the pre-pump, and it solved my problem. It was either not sending enough fuel forward or sending it without enough pressure. Mine was three years newer than yours, and it needed to be replaced. Probably a good thing to do even if you have some other problem too. See pages 230-6 through 230-9 in the Bentley Volvo 240 Service Manual. It specifies tests of the fuel system and how to change the Transfer fuel pump. Not too much of a job for decent mechanic, but I paid someone to install it after I bought the parts from IPD. Runs great now.

Good luck with yours.

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.