Volvo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 745(no ABS) has 15 inch wheels on it. I'm planning to replace all of the rotors & pads (F&R). So I was wondering if it would be alright to replace the stock rotors & pads with the same stuff or should I take the time to upgrade the brakes because of the larger wheel diameter on the car now?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Use quality parts (OEM Volvo) and things will be great in stock form.

The car was designed for use in Europe - high speed Autobahn stops, diving down mountain passes at speed, etc. North American driving is considerably less demanding.

Don't forget to lube the caliper sliders and bleed the whole system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was going to go with ate rotors front & rear, mintex front pads, rolunds rear pads. Any objections or suggestions?

·
Registered
330 Posts
ATE is quite possibly same as OEM so should be OK. Mixing makes of pads without testing is not exactly a safe thing.

The balance of the brakes is pre-determined by Volvo in the design of the braking system. In this, they expect particular characteristics of each part to work together. Mixing different pads front and rear can be dangerous.

Each manufacturer has their own compund for brake pad material. This may be optimized for any number of situations. Some may work best when cold (for stop-and go city traffic) others may work best only with high temperature in the brakes (for high speed or mountain driving). This would also apply to the rotor steel, but in a more minor way.

It's probably safest to figure out what type will work best for you and keep the balance front to rear as designed.

Scroll down this link for a good summary;
Brake Pads / Rotors Technical Specification - How Brakes Work - FAQ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts