Volvo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 V70 T5 with 111,000 miles

After driving in 90 degree heat for 3.5 hours at 65mph, I left my car idling in the driveway for a few minutes and discovered that the "low voltage" warning had appeared in the display. I drove the car 3 blocks and shut in down for the night. Next morning the warning was gone and the car started perfectly. It has started easily for 3 days now and I've not seen that warning again.

What happened? Should I expect alternator trouble soon? The battery is a 2 year old NAPA; no corrosion, leaks or loose cables. If I need an alternator, does it matter what brand I buy? Ther're priced all over the place from $50 used to 300 new. I'm thinking re-manufactured for about $150. Any advice?

·
Registered
330 Posts
It might just be a one-off issue. Sounds like the voltage regulator (probably integral with the alternator) was stuck. It normally switches on and off to top up the battery, as demand dictates.

If it stayed in 'off' mode, the car would be running on a slowly discharging battery. The sudden demand of starting the car may have 'woken up' the regulator.

If you're planning to keep the car a long time, put the Volvo part in. If not, name-brand, aftermarket would be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Volvo went into limp mode yesterday while we were running errands and I literally coasted into an independent euro-garage. He wants 300 for the part and 200 to install it....ridiculous! The Advance Auto store across the street has the part and I'd like to do it myself, ....but how do I get the car home without calling a tow truck? Can I take the battery out of my Subaru and put it into the Volvo long enough to drive it home?...about 3 miles?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Swapping batteries should work. You've probably been driving for days on the old battery's charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts