Volvo Forums banner

Need Advice - Engine Won't Start

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  sulley007 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 S70 2.4L non turbo. I bought the car with a bad engine (rod through side of block). This weekend I installed a used engine. I tried to start the engine yesterday afternoon. It will turn over, but will not start. It sounded like it would start at first, but then sounded like the starter was not engaging. I pulled the top timing cover off to check the belt. The belt is OK and I turned the engine over with cover off and noticed that the engine is turning over. I went back and checked all electrical connections, everything seems to be in place. I am stumped. Any ideas on what it could be or what I should try? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hopefully the used engine was OK, did you see it run before you installed it?

You need the basics; spark and fuel.

If the starter has stopped engaging, you may have run the battery down too far. This would also limit the amount of spark available.

Charge the battery and have a boost available for your next attempt. Pull a spark plug lead, stick a screwdriver into the lead to make contact with the metal in the cap. Hold the insulated screwdriver handle steady and place the metal shaft of the screwdriver close to a metal part of the engine. Close is about 1/2 inch away. Crank the car over and watch for a spark to jump from the screwdriver to the block.

With the key in the run position, you can check for fuel pressure. Locate the fuel rail that feeds the injectors. There should be a small cap that screws onto a fitting along the rail. Remove the cap and you should see a Schrader valve ( like an air valve on a tire stem or A/C system ) and if you press the pin, fuel should spray out under fairly high pressure.

If you have both fuel and spark with a fully charged battery it should start. If not, start checking all your electrical and vaccum connections you made notes of before you did the swap....

Good luck, it can be tedious or you may get it first try.

#3 ·
I appreciate your response. The engine is fine. I tried again last night and it started. I didn't let it turn over enough the night before. I didn't give it enough time to get fuel to the intake. The valves ticked for a little while at first, but cleared up after a few minutes. It runs like a sewing machine now. I took it for a test drive, but coundn't get above 40 mph. The front wheel was shaking. It seems the passenger side inner tie rod is bad. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I was looking today for the part to replace. I found out that this car had one of two rack and pinion manufacturers. Do you know where to find the number. One shows a "4" and the other is a "5". I am new to the Volvo scene, but I have heard nothing but good about them. I am looking foward to getting this one on the road.

Thanks again

#5 ·
I am south of Birmingham, AL. I appreciate the advice. I looked on their website and found the info. Their prices are lower than most places I found so far. Any advice on changing the inner tie rod? I had someone tell me it takes special tools to do the job.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.