Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 S80 and not real impressed with the MPG in the city. I have gotten 15 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway. I need to know what I can do to help this situation.

If anyone knows where to get a new center console I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks for helping me out!

By the way, everything else I really love about the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well, for what's worth I get 19-20 driving mixed small town and short trips. Long highway runs I get 25 +/-. I put in premium gas because of the Turbo and what the manual says. It runs better, doesn't surge and I think I get better MPG.

2006 T-5 AWD 55K

·
Registered
330 Posts
15-21mpg...not bad for a big, heavy car with a thirsty engine.

Along with the tune-up basics, (plugs, air filter) a fuel injection system service could help. This is a process where they connect cleaning solution to the injectors, idle the engine and then clean the intake. It does work. I have seen an improvement in mileage and power on two vehicles I've had done. Should be less than $100.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting 23-25 mpg on mixed driving. Recently got 28.5 on a road trip. But the key is using petrol that is at least 89 octane. On longer trips I use premium and, while it is .10 more than 89-91, it makes up for it in mpg. I have found the car does not perform nearly as well on regular 87 octane petrol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
carbon build up on valve seats could cause this...as well as partially clogged injectors. I would suggest using some seafoam. This will surely help out. Also change the air filter. You will be surprised what a dirty filter will do to the performance and mpg.

I got my center console from dealer for $77 but swedishautoparts had them for $65. For the shipping I decided to go dealer since I had to get other dealer specific parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts