Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all...new to the forum and new Volvo owner. Just bought a 08' xc90 3.2l AWD on Monday, today it is going in the shop for a noise when you shift into gear or as you accelerate, or come to a close stop, but not while your driving. It is a "certified" one from Annapolis Volvo and they don't seem to think it is a major issue and is safe to drive till they repair it. Any idea on what it could be? I know this may be dangerous to even post this type of question as I may just worry myself more but need to have some type of idea of what it could be and if it is going to be a long few years. Any help would be appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does your XC90 have a trailer hitch? If so, is it OE or after-market? What happens is that after market installations sometime leave very little room between the hitch and the muffler. Once warmed-up the muffler expands ever so little, but enough to vibrate against the hitch when accelerating. Note the RPM when you hear the noise and see if you can duplicate it at will at those RPM. My XC60 suffered that malady and all that was required was to increase the gap slightly between the muffler and the Curt hitch.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts