Volvo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have seen from other forums, other drivers and other random pictures, I have noticed that the leak from my oil cap is not something that is super rare. I have replaced the cap, I am on my third one, all different versions from different sources. I have also replaced just the seal. It always works for a bit but then starts to leak again.

1996 850R wagon

My most recent problem was when I forgot that I should be checking for pooling under my plug cover. I was suffering from some misfires so I started to do some visual inspections. I found that I had pooled up a ton of oil under there, all the pits and divots were full, and what's worse, so were two of my spark plug holes..

After cleaning out as much oil as I could with shop rags, I decided I needed to come up with some sort of fix for this. So I purchased plugs, wires, rotor, cap and a tube of liquid gasket.

I was at a friends house after I purchased all the things listed above, and I decided I would replace the things that do not seem to get touched by the oil leak until I could get home and start the gasket project. As I mentioned before, I was getting heavy misfires under boost. If I drove nicely in economy mode I wouldn't have any misfires, but if I pushed it into boost, or in sport mode almost at any level of acceleration, it would misfire. That is why I decided to at least replace a little and see what happened, I had absolutely no expectations for anything..

I replaced the cap and rotor and noticed that the connection were the ignition wire connects to the distributor cap had white fowling to it. None of the other wires showed any sign of wear ( some of the plug boots were pretty covered in oil). So I replaced the ignition wire since it is out of the way of the oil spill as well.

When I headed home everything felt pretty smooth, like I said, I wasn't expecting anything yet so this surprised me. So once I got to the highway on ramp I flipped it into sport mode and gave her the beans just out of sheer curiosity.. No misfires! the whole way home was smooth. I drove it all the next day and tested it out whenever the area felt safe and still no misfires..

Anyways, back to the oil leak. I purchased the Permatex "Ultra Black" gasket maker. It is in the photos, said it had high oil resistance.

The plan is this:
Clean the lip where the oil cap seal sits, apply a ring of the gasket maker around the whole face and allow to fully cure before touching.
Remove the seal ring from the oil cap, clean the cap itself where the seal sits and a little more. Apply gasket maker to the outer most underside of the cap, just outside where the seal ring should sit. Allow to fully cure.
While the spark plug cover is off, clean the channel that goes around the top of the engine, the part that accepts the covers lip like a puzzle piece. After cleaning and drying out the channel, apply a strip of the gasket maker through the entire channel ( the front is probably all that is necessary but I don't think the extra seal will be bad in any way) and allow to fully cure before reinstalling the cover.

I replaced my plugs and the rest of the wires and performed said plan above. So as of now, the car is parked for the next two days while the Ultra Black cures to a rubbery seal that will not stick all my parts together permanently. The instructions said only 24 hours were necessary for a full cure, but the temperature dropped here so I am playing it safe.

I will post an update when it all goes together and again once I have driven it for a while to give it a good test.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
The common cause is higher than normal crankcase pressure. The cure is usually replacing the PCV hoses and cleaning out or replacing the PCV black box and the passages to the oil pan.
If it's a turbo, cleaning out the PTC would be advisable too.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.