Volvo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, and thanks in advance for your thoughts about my question. FYI, I've cross-posted this question to a couple of other Volvo forums so I hope that's not in violation of any rules.

I've never owned a volvo but I'm in the market for a car and I found a beauty on Craigslist - a 2005 s40 for only $6000. The car has 78,000 miles on it and it looks as good as it should. But it has a rather strange history and a long list of problems.

I'm an experienced mechanic but I don't have a shop to work in and I only have time to do minor repairs/troubleshooting (e.g. I don't want to pull the engine or disassemble the head or anything like that). I've done a few engine swaps but I mostly work on aircraft and I know nothing about Volvos. For this car, I'm fine with replacing accessories and troubleshooting sensors and electrical problems if that's all it needs.

So my question is, based on the list of problems below, is there anything here that indicates that this car might need a new engine, trans, or some other expensive, labor-intensive repair?

Here's the list of problems and red flags:
  1. The car was involved in an accident a few years ago. Left front was damaged and the air bag went off. The body repairs were clearly done by a pro and everything lines up very nicely.
  2. Air bag "caution" indicator is on with a message saying "urgent maintenance needed" or something like that.
  3. Left and right back seat belts are missing (they've been carefully removed for some odd reason).
  4. The engine takes longer than it should to rev when I goose the throttle.
  5. The A/C blows lukewarm.
  6. The ECU shows the following faults:
    Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
    =================================================

Vehicle VIN: YV1MS390352105962
    Vehicle Manufacturer: Volvo
    Vehicle Calibration ID: 0030785187 AA
    A

Current Fault Log
    ------------------
    U0400: null
    U0001: null
    P2420: Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit High
    P2401: Evaporative Emission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit Low
    P0075: Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit (Bank 1)
    P0458: null
    P0100: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
    P0600: Serial Communication Link

Pending Fault Log
    ------------------
    ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
    ------------------
    ECU reports no historic faults
    Other discovered fault codes
    (possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    P0531: A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
    C27C4: null
    P0575: Cruise Control Input Circuit
    P0124: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Intermittent
    C3524: null
    P0006: null

End of report.

Here's the carfax if you're interested: CARFAX Vehicle History Report on YV1MS390352105962

Thank you very much for your time!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.