Volvo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter hit something that cracked the oil pan on her 2002 S60 2.4L turbo. She continued to drive for about 4 min after the oil light came on until the engine stopped.

Are there any safety features on this that would shut of the engine when it detects no oil pressure?

Current status is a drained about a 1/2 quart of oil out of it. No water in the oil or metal filings. Put some JB weld on the crack so it would hold oil and filled it back up with oil. It turns over but only about half speed. It was low on coolant so I added coolant untill I heard it dripping out on the back side of the engine. Haven't been able to determine where the leak is yet.

Could the turbo be seized up and restricting exhause or intake which causes the engine to turn slow?
Is the turbo only oil cooled or is it water cooled also?
Are there any coolant line on the back of the engine that could be leaking or is it the head gasket?
What steps should I take to determine if this engine is toast?

·
Registered
330 Posts
My suspicious nature and having had previous experience with teenagers, would make me wonder if 4 min was a correct time.

A turbo problem would not affect the speed at which the engine turns over on the starter (turbo only has an effect over 2000 RPM). Turning over slowly could suggest scored bearings...?

It's very easy for people today to ignore a light on the dashboard. Their urgency is not always clearly indicated. Instruments have been left off for economic reasons. You may be in for an expensive lesson.

You might find a sympathetic mechanic.....with teenagers of his own, to help you see how bad the problem is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roasted engine

Further investigation found coolant on on the spark plugs and it pours out on the back of the engine as fast as i poured it in. Decided to get a used motor from salvage. Now the problem is the wire harness plugs into the ECU with some sort of trick plastic connection that takes a Volvo special tool. I wanted to change wire harnesses because some of the the ones on the car have melted spots on the protective casing so I'm worried about melted spots in the insulations. Anybody have a trick to unplug the ECU or know how to get one of the special tools?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts