Volvo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all--

New to this Forum and soon to enter the ranks of Volvo ownership. I need a 2nd car for Boston winters. I now have what could be the polar opposite of a V70...a Mercedes-Benz SL500 which is beautiful in the summer with the roof down...but not so much in the ice and snow unless you want to go sledding.

Thinking of a 1991-2001 either V70 wagon or XC wagon. High miles (over 100k) to keep cost below $4K. Understand that I need to look out for timing belt, water pump, etc.

Any other major pointers? Or things to steer clear of (figuratively...ha!).

Obviously, the XC will be better in snow.

I'm more interested in fuel econonomy than in power...should I avoid turbos over standard engine?

Also, I read somewhere that only the 2000 model year came with a 5-speed auto transmission, so that's the best for highway fuel economy. Anyone heard that?

Any pointers, tips, ruminations, caveats, rants or opinions--qualified or not--most welcome!

Thanks in advance all.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Atlanta! The XC will be better in the snow but also have higher repair bills due to the complexity of the AWD. The V70's were offered in manual transmission so you would get better gas mileage with the standard. Turbos again will offer more power, but the risk and higher cost of replacement. If you want a 'plain jane' to give you a second car the v70 manual is a nice option. I would have anything checked out by a dealer or independent shop. Look for timing belt replacement on anything over 100k miles.

And for your Mercedes, check out Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum - A Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sulley007. Yep, looking for the plain jane. Thanks for the advice. BTW I assume that is your silver 1800 in the photo albums? Beautiful.

Yes I am a member of the SL500/R230 forum on mbforums. Very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts