Volvo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I discovered this site after checking out the repair estimate from my Volvo dealer. I have a 2002 XC70 white with tan interior (in lieu of a picture) With 196,000 miles on it. Other than the faint hint of a spill from my salmon and dill soup (delish btw and my own recipe) while transporting it in the crock pot, I love my car. BUT - my dealer just told me that I have $5360 worth of repairs: $2450 for the angle drive unit replacement, $1700 for the PCV system cleaning including cleaning the engine block and a new pick up tube, and $1210 for a new DIM.

I am not a DIYer so my question is should I repair or replace this car? It's Blue Book value is @$ 3,000. Conventional wisdom says 'replace' since the repairs are more than the current value. I can afford a new car but can't I get another 50K miles or more out of her? The exterior is in great shape except for a small dent where my kayak fell - I work from home so I don't commute nor need to drive in the snow for work.

I'd appreciate your opinions. And I am now a proud owner of a crock pot with a locking lid :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. I found an independent repair guy who told me to not even touch the angle drive unit with my car having 195k miles - just keep the fluid topped off. His repair rice for the PCV issue is $1000 less than the dealer. He can send out the DIM unit for repair at less than half the dealer price. And he is changing the transmission fluid - something Volvo doesn't recommend and he isn't sure why as it provides extra life to the transmission. He thinks ill get another year or so out of my car. Life lesson - don't always trust the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always do all my own repairs and typically save 70% on all repair costs. However if you don't know how to do it or want a professional to do it then I would suggest finding a guy like you did. The dealer will always be expensive but no one knows a car like a person that made it.. To keep cost down these two methods are great but for quality it will cost you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts