Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 S60R with HID D2R bulbs. The passenger side headlight stopped working even after installing new bulbs on both sides. I took the bulb and igniter from the passenger side and hooked it to the drivers side and it worked fine, however neither bulb or igniter will work on the passenger side. I was having trouble with the turn signal / high/low beam selector so I replaced it but that didn't help the headlight issue. Are there common headlight problems with Volvos? I can't figure out why one side works but not the other. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Issue resolved ....

After receiving no help on any of the Volvo forums, I did a lot of digging, pulled the wiring diagrams from online, checked all the fuses (there are at least 2 for each light) and still no resolution which left only one possible solution -- replacing the ballast which is very expensive (about $500 new for a part slightly larger than a cell phone ... ouch!!!!). I found a used one online for $120 at Valeo OEM Replacement Ballast LAD5GL [OEM-VALEO-BLST] and it worked like a charm. There is a ballast hidden under each of the light housings for the particular light and unfortunately you need to remove the front bumper cover and the applicable light housing to swap it out. Fortunately it's not too difficult of a process which I'm detailing for you below. I hope this helps.

Fasteners:
(2) bolts (front) to the bumper, located under the bumper guard panels,
(2) 8mm nuts (wipers)
(2) torx screws (loosen and push forward)
(6) push pins (top of bumper cover under hood)
(2) pull pins (bottom of wheel well)

• Remove headlight wipers - Rotate the black cover of the wiper stem and pull forward / rotate. Loosen, using a 8mm socket to remove the nut. Apply slight twist / wiggle motion while pulling the wiper arm forward. Disconnect the black washer fluid line.
  • Remove bumper cover moldings covering two bolts (12mm) that need removed.
  • Loosen two (T25) screws that are located under cover fender one on each side towards the end of bumpers. Unscrew each of them about 1/2" each and then push back in.
  • Remove 2 pull pins at bottom of wheel well (pull center piece out allowing the outer part of the pin to be removed)
  • Remove 6 plastic clips that are located on top of the bumper by pressing the button that is in the center of each clip.
  • From the wheel well, pull the bumper cover outward while pulling the bumper cover forward being careful not to break plastic clips.
  • Disconnect plug for fog lights and the bumper should be free.
  • The ballast is attached under the light housing, so the applicable light will need to be removed as well by removing the silver clip and (4) 12 mm bolts holding it in place (one on each side and 2 on the top under the hood) You may need to remove the plastic fender piece (2 torx and 2 bolts to get access to the bolt toward the fender).
  • Pull light housing out and lay it on top of the radiator giving you access to the ballast. (Note, if you’re also changing bulbs, it’s a lot easier to do it at this phase than when installed in the car)
  • Remove all 6 torx screws and pry the ballast from the plastic holder. Disconnect the both wires by pulling the up, plug them into the new ballast, test lights then reverse procedure.
  • It only took me a half hour or so to remove the bumper and the same to reinstall, so it’s definitely not a tedious process. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts