Volvo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 S60 with around 100K on it. When I took it in for an alignment the mechanic said the camber (I think it was camber) or toe was at its max adjustment and I would need shocks soon. I assume he means that the rear shocks are gas pressurized and that would raise the rear end so the adjustment would no longer be at its max adjustment. So I wonder does it need springs in back also or does it really need springs and not shocks or does it need both? I did not give it the bounce test. If it passes the bounce test does that mean the problem is not the shocks but the springs? I guess I need to prepare to do some suspension work because I just installed new tires and don't want them to wear prematurely. BTW when I last looked at the tires only a couple of months ago there was no signs of worn shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shocks don't raise the car - they are there to "dampen" the movement of the car. The bounce test can sort of tell you if you need new shocks because when the shocks wear out, they fail to stop the car from bouncing on the springs. When the springs lose some of their ...spring ... the car may sit a little lower. Rarely need to replace springs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts