Volvo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Hoping for some advice on getting my wonderful 1996 850 glt wagon outfitted with a roof rack. Right now it doesn't have side bars or anything. Our car is full of humans and dogs and we need somewhere to stick stuff when we travel.

I've been thinking about whether it's possible to get a used rack from a salvage yard and install it / get it installed on my car or whether it's better to buy a (hopefully used due to expense) rack. The latter option is more expensive than I expected and don't know if I can afford a rack after brief research.

Thoughts/advice on these options? Recommendations for what will fit my 1996 wagon?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cut (instead of stripping and sawing) the molding to install roof rails(euro rails)?

Hi everyone. All of the other threads here on the euro rails have been very helpful. I got 2000 V70 rails from a salvage yard for my 96 850 glt wagon today. I didn't see the guy take them off unfortunately and I'm reluctant to strip my entire molding when I'm not sure that I can do the job myself. The bars are completely intact -- I thought it would be so obvious but I'm a little discouraged!

Any thoughts on trying to slice the molding (it's very cheap metal and seems like it would go with my bolt or other cutters) where the rails attach just so I can check it out while doing minimal damage to see if it's a job I can do myself? Instead of stripping and sawing areas with a hack?

How does the molding stick back on if I take it all off? Especially along the windshield? Wish I'd seen the guy take it off. Would love any pics from the underworld of that molding before I take it off. Thanks all. Any help at all would be great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts