Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C blows cold at start up and works well for ~20-30 minutes. I added freon and the gauges read 25 and 190. (The pressure actually came down after adding the freon; pre-adding the freon, the pressures were ~40 and 250). Once the car heats up, the A/C quits. If I turn it off for a few minutes it will come back on for a while.The compressor seems to be cycling correctly in the garage at idle, but to give the devil his due, I've not checked it when it has stopped functioning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem on 2000 S80

Just had the A/C serviced but have the same problem. Usually works OK when temp is under 90 but stops when over 90. Works great when it works. Hopefully a wise man will see and give us a suggestion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the Evap Temp Sensor. I have a non-working one sitting on my desk. What happens is the sensor tells the AC circuit that the cabin temp is about 20 degress higher than it really is, so the A/C keeps running and the coil that does the temp exchange behind the radio freezes. So letting the car sit a few minutes allows the coil to unfreeze. I replaced the $35 part in five minutes on my 2003 V70 and took photos.

Evap Sensor Location in 2003 V70 - (Drivers side kick-panel removed. Brake and Gas pedal visable)

Side View of Evap Sensor (about 4.5 inches long). NOTE: Probe color can be blue or black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 v70 having a similar problem

greetings! I was searching the forums for similar A/C gremlin issues. I'm not certain mine stops with simply a temp rise, but it did become particularly warm out the other day (first day over 90˚), and the A/C inexplicably stopped.
I have for a while now, been plagued with a finicky blower. It will wait a second or two to come on after being switched on, and then depending on whether my foot is on the brake or accelerator, it will blow faster or slower. Generally faster when applying the brake, and slower when accelerating.

I'll look into the evap sensor for this latest issue, but I'm definitely still looking for input on the blower thing.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts