Volvo Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a mid-80s 240 engine (actually it's in a 1978 262c) that had been solid up until last week. I had an oil change done while having some electrical issues worked on, and within a day or so after getting it out of the shop, oil started leaking out of the crankcase. The shop had apparently put a new seal on the oil filler cap, which they think might have shifted pressure since it was losing some through the old worn out seal. It was recommended to change out my flame trap at that point. I installed a brand new one, and still have oil seeping out.

There never had been any leakage in this area before, but the strange thing is, I can't tell where the leak is actually coming from. I have attached an image of what I have seen. It's a little blurry, but the oil is coming out between the manifold and the timing belt cover, and then dripping down to the water pump below. The oil is only coming out while the engine is running and shortly thereafter. They used a 20w50 oil in the change, but I am not sure if it was real or synthetic, as I have heard that synthetic can sometimes seep through older gaskets. Does anyone have any advice on what to check? Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts