Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a 1990 Volvo 740GL that died on the highway. It just quit running. The car has a new timing belt installed a year a go. It has a new fuel pump relay. A new crank sensor, a new fuel pressure regulator. It has spark & you can here the fuel pump kick on every time. The timing has just been checked also & it's fine. After it died on the road & was towed back it started & ran for a minute or two then died. If it sits overnight it will fire for a second & then that's it. After that it won't fire at all. The mechanic couldn't figure it out so i ran codes & got a 122 code which says it's a faulty air temperature sensor so i was desperate & ordered one online. I just don't think that a faulty air temp sensor is going to make it not start at all. It's 80 degrees her in MN & it won't fire unless i shoot starting fluid in the throttle body. Could a faulty air temp sensor make it not start at all? It gives me the 122 code which says it's faulty. Before i forget, i have the Regina system. Anybody please help! I need an answer now...:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i have a 1990 Volvo 740GL that died on the highway. It just quit running.
MNWILD, I'm new to this forum. Just bought a '90 740GL myself and know absolutely nothing about the gremlins that haunt them. That's why I joined. You didn't mention this but did you ever change the large inline fuel filter. I had a similar thing happen to me and my '95 Ford Taurus a several years ago. About 35 miles from home, just starting our vacation, the car started losing power and finally quit. Cranked and cranked and nothing happened. After several minutes of thinking what our options were, I tried to start it again and it started. A quarter mile down the road it quit again. Called AAA, towed it home, rented a car the next day and went on vacation.
I assumed when when I returned home after vacation I would have to change the fuel pump, after all it was about 15 years old at the time and over 180,000 miles. For whatever reason, I changed the inline filter first (cheaper than a fuel pump) and it started right up and never quit again until I got rid of the car a few years ago. I can only assume sediment in the filter stopped the fuel flow. After sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes, it allowed enough sediment to settle out to start the car but then quickly plugged up again. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope this helped. Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
740 won't start

Hi there,
I'm not a mechanic but I AM on my third 740 so might know the odd quirk or two....and it's usually electrical/electronic.
Assuming your vehicle is cranking, and the AMM is OK, then you might look at the two relays hanging off the expansion tank. These can give lots of trouble, including fuel injection.
Since they are both the same, try swapping them around and see if the car starts.
(I'm about to crack mine open and re-solder the joints).

Good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts