Whining Sound From Engine...v50 T5 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair
Volvo Versatility Volvo V40, V50, V70 and V90

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010 Thread Starter
psa

Whining Sound From Engine...v50 T5

My first post here....

I hear this light whining or dull squealing sound during idle. I would think if I reved the engine the sound would increase and maybe go away if it was a belt. When I rev the engine the sound does not increase so I don't think it's a belt issue. I turned the AC on and the sound did not change or go away. My alternator is staying steady at 14.0 to 15.0 via my PassPort Radar detector. Been pretty cold here in the mid west...highs in the 20's....garage kept during the night but parked outside during the day.

Any suggestions...before I have my mechanic take a look..??

2007 AWD V50 Turbo 60K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010 Thread Starter
psa

noticed when we first start the car the noise is not there....I also noticed if I turn the steering wheel it does not affect the noise.....

upon start up it takes about 10 minutes before the whining noise starts.....then when I shut off the engine you can hear the whining noise slowly fade away.

I guessing it might be the water pump...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010 Thread Starter
psa

Problem Solved.....

Well the check engine light came on this morning.....took it to the Volvo deal....turns out it is a clogged oil engine trap...not sure what that is....but apparently it is under some type of specific extended warranty.....so I guess it's almost a recall part. The dealer has to order the part....and best of all....NO charge......

The clogged oil engine trap is what caused the whining sound and the check engine light...go figure.....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010
Administrator

Thanks for the update on this issue. I was going to say the water pump would probably also change in pitch with the RPM's. No charge, nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiast Forum - Volvo Community - Volvo Repair forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in